Spend Some Time When Choosing a Stucco and Stone Contractor
Choosing a Contractor
When a home improvement project requires a stucco and stone contractor, most homeowners will likely not have the names and phone numbers of any installers stored in their computer, smartphone, or address book. Since the need for a stucco and stone contractor may be a once-in-a-lifetime circumstance, the first reaction of a homeowner might be to ask a friend or a family member if they or someone they know could recommend a reputable company.
While this could provide a viable lead, it will in all likelihood merely scratch the surface of what will be needed to make a comfortable and informed decision on the contractor who will ultimately be awarded the project. In other words, it would be prudent to invest some time in doing research, or homework, before settling on a stucco and stone contractor – and while there are indeed several stucco and stone companies to choose from in Toronto and the GTA, homeowner diligence upfront will pay dividends in the long run from the standpoint of return on investment.
First and foremost, it is suggested that homeowners obtain a minimum of three written estimates from various stucco companies – this is no different than shopping around for a new roof, interior/exterior painting, or kitchen renovations. While this may seem like a somewhat tedious process, it is an important element in making an informed decision on how the money will be invested – and should any contractors hesitate or outright refuse to provide a written quote, this should be a ‘red flag’ to direct research time elsewhere.
Once the list of candidates has been narrowed, each of the stucco and stone companies should be screened/researched further to determine which firm will be the best choice for the job.
The Information that homeowners should obtain from each contractor includes:
- The number of years that the company has been in operation
- Verifiable contact information – phone number, e-mail address, business address
- Valid/up-to-date insurance – both workplace insurance and general liability coverage
- Is the work done/supervised by company staff or out-sourced to sub-contractors?
- Processes to protect and clean-up personal property during and after the project
- Clarification of all warranties/exceptions/inspections related to materials and labour
- Manufacturer certifications/licenses to install and service their particular products
- Any memberships or affiliations with local and national stucco industry associations
- Health of the business – references from previous customers (over several years)
- Methods and terms of payment, if not stipulated within their written estimate
Stucco and stone installations represent a substantial financial investment, and choosing the right contractor is vital to achieving both the desired look and the best return on that investment. Therefore, dedicating an appropriate amount of time for research/homework before making a final decision would also be a wise investment.
Ready to answer all of your questions.
A reputable stucco and stone company, such as Stucco’N’Stone, should basically anticipate that potential customers will want and need to know this type of information and be willing to respond openly and honestly.
In fact, Stucco’N’Stone encourages and welcomes all of your questions, not just those included in the above checklist, and we would be pleased to discuss any aspects of the following in further detail:
- Our five-year no-worry warranty
- WSIB and general liability insurance
- Written estimates and written references
- On-the-job care and post-job processes
- Registered memberships, including:
- Better Business Bureau
- Toronto Construction Association
- EIFS Council of Canada
- Payment options
Looking for a reputable and competent stucco contractor in Toronto and the GTA? Call the professionals at Stucco’N’Stone today at 416-876-3485 to discuss how we can help meet any and all of your stucco needs.